I have been making this cake for guests all summer, but yesterday was the first time I tried it as there is usually none left for me!
- 250g softened butter
- 100ml strong black coffee (made with 2 tbsp coffee granules), cooled
- 280g self raising flour
- 250g caster sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 85g walnuts, 2 tbsp roughly chopped, the rest finely chopped
- 100g icing sugar
- 150ml double cream
- 100g mascarpone
- Heat oven to 180C / gas 4.
- Line 2 x 20cm cake tins.
- Set aside 1 tbsp of the coffee for the filling.
- Beat the butter, flour, sugar, baking powder, eggs, vanilla and half of the remaining coffee in a bowl until lump free.
- Fold in the finely chopped walnuts.
- Divide the mixture between the cake tins and spread.
- Scatter the roughly chopped almonds over one of the cakes.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until a skewer comes out clean.
- Drizzle the plain cake with the remaining coffee.
- Cool the cakes in the tins.
- To make the filling, mix together the icing sugar, cream and mascarpone until thickened, then fold in the coffee.
- Spread the filling over the plain cake, then top with the walnut topped cake.