These scones are the absolute dream! They can be on the table in 20 minutes, using store cupboard ingredients.
- 350g self raising flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 85g butter
- 3 tbsp caster sugar
- 175ml milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Beaten egg
- Heat oven to 220c / gas 7.
- Mix together the flour, salt and baking powder.
- Add the butter, then rub in with your fingers until the mid looks like fine breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the sugar.
- Put the milk into a jug and heat in the microwave for about 30 seconds.
- Add the vanilla to the milk.
- Put a baking tray in the oven.
- Make a well in the dry mix, then add the liquid and combine it with a cutlery knife. It will seem pretty wet at first.
- Scatter some flour into the work surface and tip the dough out.
- Scatter the dough and your hands with some more flour, then fold the dough over a couple of times until it is smoother.
- Pat it into a round about 4cm deep.
- Cut the round into 6 even triangles.
- Brush the tops of the scones with the beaten egg, then carefully place on to the baking tray.
- Bake for 12 minutes until risen and golden.